Saturday, June 6, 2015

3. Ask and It Shall be Given Eventually

“You’re Zoe, aren’t you? I need your help.” She could already feel pressure on her shoulders.

Much like a living person, she invited the ghost to sit. Surprisingly, it was a boy. He looked young and he was really handsome, actually.

“You scared the guy a few minutes ago, didn’t you?” He chuckled and nodded. “It was that entertaining?”

“No. Your explanation was.” She rolled her eyes and crossed her legs under her. “I’m Kim Jong Dae but people call me Chen.” He stuck his hand in front of her. She stared at it for a few seconds before her eyes moved up, to his face. “Ah, right. You can’t touch me.” He rubbed his neck nervously.

“I have this feeling that you’re the opposite of Andy.” Chen’s eyes widened.

“You know Andy?!” She nodded. He suddenly became very excited. “We were colleagues in university! We had the same major, though I’m pretty sure I was better than him.” He reminded her of someone but she couldn’t quite point out whom.

“You died. He died. You will probably meet at the corner street.” She was sarcastic but he didn’t catch on. “How did you die anyway?” He laughed nervously. She raised an eyebrow when she saw his ears getting pink. “You’re not dead.” His eyes were glistening with life. He didn’t get through the barrier yet.

“I’m dead but not really. I’m in a coma. Remember the plane that crashed a few days ago?” She nodded. “I was in the bus that got crushed under” She stared blankly at him. Was she supposed to cry or something? “My parents want to detach me from the machine that keeps me alive.”

“Won’t you die, then? Isn’t that good?” He blinked. Was that supposed to be a joke?

“No. I want to live. My heart is getting better even if it takes more time. Go and tell them that.” She stared at him before she started to laugh loudly. He wasn’t sure that was a good response. She got on her feet and walked into her room. He appeared there a few seconds later. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“I’m not that kind of person. I hate meddling with people and their issues.” Chen frowned.

“But they want to kill me!” She scoffed and sat at her working desk. She turned on her laptop and leaned back. “He told me you will help me! Where’s my help?” He was a little brat. He started to whine and complain about how unfair she was and how she was pushing life away from his reach.

“By the way,” He stopped and came behind her. “Who told you that I’m able to help you?” Chen sulked. She was really not interested in helping him.

“Some guy. He was there when I got out of my body. I think his name was Mehrdir.” Her eye was twitching. She really wanted to bang his head against the wall; even if that would be useless. She turned her chair around in order to look at him.

“Mehrdir is a greed demon.” Chen’s eyes widened. “Everything he does is for his own interest. When he helps someone, he expects something in return.” Chen gulped.

“Uh-oh?” She grimaced.

“Yes. Uh-oh. Demons are tricky. There’s no way to know who is a demon and who isn’t. The best way to hide is to be in the open.” Chen sighed and rubbed his head. “What?”

“I think they’re doing something to me. I have a terrible headache.” She thought he was only trying to manipulate her into helping him but he did look sick. He disappeared but she could still hear his last groan.


She really tried to forget about the young man and concentrate on her work. But, she ended up drawing him. She moaned and ruffled her hair.

One way or another, she found herself in the hospital. His family was somewhere around there and she really didn’t want to meet them. At her luck, she met his mother at the reception.

“Thank you for helping me. The nurse was very stubborn.” Mrs Kim glanced at her from the corner of her eye.

“Are you a friend of my son?” She gulped. She needed a good reason.

“I’m his-um-girlfriend?” She wasn’t sure if he had one or not. She hoped he didn’t.

“Are you Lizzy?” Zoe's eyes widened. She had no choice but nod. The mother became suddenly very lovely. She hugged her and begun to act more like a mother.

“So he told you a lot about me.” She patted the older woman and tried to keep up the nice act.

“Yes, of course. You’re everything he talks about when he comes home. He must like you very much.” She stopped and bowed. “Thank you for loving my son.” Zoe's smile cracked a little.

“Yes, yes. No problem.” The mother stopped crying and the door of the elevator opened; finally.

“Jong Dae was a talented singer. I hoped he’d wake up and sing his favorite songs again but this happened. He entered the coma and it doesn’t look like he will wake up ever again. My precious son.” Zoe frowned.

“Are you going to detach him from the machines?” Mrs Kim sighed.

“I don’t know what to do anymore. My husband wants that but I still have hope.” She had to encourage the mother in order to save her son.

They entered his room and she noticed just how big the damage to his body was. He was all bandaged up and had a tube of oxygen down his neck. She shivered when she saw it. But, aside from that, Chen was there too. He was surprised to see her there.

“You know, we talked about this before.” Chen raised an eyebrow when she started to talk. She tried to look at his body instead of his partial ghost. She had to look mournful so she grabbed his arm. Chen smirked. He could feel the warm energy from her. He could also sense her emotions. She was annoyed.

“Did you?” She nodded. “Did you talk about death?” Mrs Kim wasn’t buying that talk. Zoe had to make it believable.

“Not really. We had an appointment for class. We had to sing as if one of us was going to die.” Chen walked closer. He was amused and curious of her story. “I said that I wouldn’t really want to be kept alive if I would be in big pain. I’d prefer to be released. But he was such a joyful guy. He said he’d fight until the end. I think Jong Dae would like to live.” Chen stared at her with soft eyes and a warm smile. He felt like hugging her. She sensed that and plunged her nails in his hand. He felt that and jumped in surprise.

“That hurt!” She did it again. “Just wait until I will wake up.” His threat was childish. He still had a long way until he was going to walk around as if nothing happened.

“So, what do you think we should do?” His mother was in terrible pain. She wasn’t thinking clearly and was holding onto a fake thread. That fake thread was Zoe. Probably Mehrdir realized that and that was why he told Chen to ask her for help.

“I think you should wait a little bit more. It’s been only a few days. Wait another week. If he can’t breathe by himself then you can detach him. But remember, hope can change fate.” Mrs Kim looked really pleased by her words. She hugged the young woman and thanked her. “Can I stay a little bit more?” Mrs Kim nodded and left.

“Wow. That was actually quite creative.” She turned and glared at him. “As a matter of fact, I am a joyful kid."

“I saved you. You better wake up in a week. I don’t want to be haunted by your mother.” Chen only laughed. He really felt like hugging her. He was happy. He was going to live.

“What you said about death,” She raised an eyebrow. “I think you would actually fight until the end, too. You’re not afraid of death but that doesn’t mean you don’t like life.” She chuckled bemusedly.

“You don’t know anything about my life. Oh, by the way. Your mother thinks I’m Lizzy.” Chen’s eyes widened. “It was the only way to get to you. You better tell her a story when you wake up.” She stopped and rubbed her chin. “If you remember!” Chen’s eyes widened even more.

“What?!” She only laughed to herself and left. She hated hospitals. They were filled with ghosts and demons. She had never met an angel. But then again, she could only see the darker side of the world.


On the way home, she could finally think about her own life. She had to recognize that she felt good after being a well doer. She did something good with her curse. But Chen was the first ghost that she helped while still being partially alive.

“You helped Chen.” She rolled her eyes and walked in the park. Unlike most places, the park was full of happiness and bright colors. Not many ghosts or demons were around.

“You didn’t really give me any choice. You sent him to me in the first place.” Mehrdir chuckled and sat on the bench. She had no other choice but sit next to him. “Why did you send him?”

“I told you to make friends in high places. When he will get better, he will look for you.” She scoffed.

“No, he won’t. He won’t even remember what happened.” Mehrdir leaned back and crossed his arms in front of his chest. He looked like he didn’t have any problem with what he was doing.

“He is a special case. He and a few others will become your companions in the future. Have you watched Contantine?” She didn’t see any connection to her issue. “Well, even Constantine had friends who would often come and rescue him when he needed.”

“That’s only a comic book.” The demon chuckled. “Demons that powerful will never come to Earth. As you said, the hole is too small.”

“But you haven’t seen it, have you?” She shook her head. “Just listen to me and accept any help that comes to you.” He got on his feet and sighed loudly. “You’re such a pain in the ass, Zoe Lestrade.” He disappeared. That wasn’t the first time he said and did that. It was a mutual annoyance between the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment